Rocket Ski Jumping
|Rocket Ski Jumping|
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo DS)|
|Info||Take to the night sky on a pair of rocket skis and compete for distance.|
|Controls||Start: Slide up-right|
Jump: Slide up-right
Fly: Touch up/down/left/right
Special Boost: Slide up
Land: Slide down
Item: Touch item slot
Rocket Ski Jumping is a Dream Skiing Dream Event that appears in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of Rocket Ski Jumping, set in Cape Aurora, is to achieve the furthest distance possible. The starting course record for the event is 1829.810m.
In this event, the player starts by sliding upwards to the top right of the screen when "Go!" appears, and can charge up energy during the countdown by touching and holding the Touch Screen to perform a faster start. Charging from when "2" appears and sliding up with perfect timing will cause the character to perform a starting dash. As the character approaches the end of the jump ramp, the player must slide towards the upper right again to take off, and can achieve greater distances by sliding closer to the edge of the ramp. Failing to jump will result in the take off being rated as "Bad" and will achieve a lower distance. Once in the air, the player can steer their character by touching around them in the direction they would like to steer. Steering uses up energy, which the player only has a limited amount of, however the player can gain more by passing through the rings throughout the course, which will also give a small speed boost. The character's direction is also affected by the wind, which blows at various speeds and directions during the event and will alter the character's flight path. The player can lose speed and altitude if they are hit by one of the Egg Flappers that move around the course, another character's offensive item or a character using a Super Boost. The player can perform a Super Boost by sliding upwards on the Touch Screen, with each character having their own unique Super Boost for the event. This will use up a large amount of energy, unless performed as the character is passing through a ring, though will gain the character a large amount of speed and distance. The character can also collect an Item Box to receive an item, which can be used by touching the item slot on the Touch Screen, and certain items can also be thrown backwards by touching the item slot twice.
Once the character runs out of energy, they begin to descend to the ground to land. The player can touch the screen above the character to balance and achieve more distance, and steer the character left and right by touching on the respective sides of the character however this will cause them to lose altitude faster. As the character approaches the ground, the player must slide down to cause the character to land, with well-timed landings allowing the character to gain some extra distance. If the character lands in the water, their attempt will be marked as a foul and no distance will be recorded for the event.
- Red Shell: Homes in on the opponent either directly in front or behind depending on the direction it is used in, and will cause characters that are hit to lose height and speed. Can be thrown backwards, and their effect can be blocked by a Super Star or Barrier.
- Spiny Shell: Homes in on the opponent in first and causes them to lose speed and height when hit. Can be defended against by using a Super Star or a Barrier.
- Barrier: Protects the character from one hit by an item. Remains in effect indefinitely unless hit or overridden with a Super Star.
- Super Star: Grants the character invincibility from all hazards and a speed boost for a short amount of time.
- Bomb: Causes a circle of three Bombs to appear in the air that will explode when touched or after a shot amount of time and cause any characters caught in the explosion to lose height and speed.
- Chaos Emerald: Strikes all opponents with lightning, causing them to lose speed and altitude, but can be blocked using a Barrier or Super Star.
- High Speed Shoes: Gives the character a speed boost for a short amount of time.
4 players jump to compete for the longest distance. Use the Super Boost while going through rings to save energy.
- Slide to the upper right to start!
- Slide to the upper right to jump!
- Touch up/down left/right around your character!
- Go through the rings to gather up energy.
- Slide upwards to use the Super Boost!
- Touch above your character to balance.
- Touch left/right to go toward the ice.
- Slide downwards to land!
- Land with perfect timing for the Telemark form!
- Touch and hold the Touch Screen on "2" and slide
- diagonally right/up at "GO" for a starting dash!
- Touch the item slot! Touch twice quickly
- to use Bombs or Red Shells backwards.
- Use Super Boost while going through rings
- to fly far without using energy!
- Red Shell: Goes flying at opponent one place ahead/behind.
- Spiny Shell: Goes flying at opponent in first.
- Barrier: Blocks one enemy attack.
- Super Star: Gives invincibility and speed for a short time.
- Bomb: Explodes after a set time or if touched.
- Chaos Emerald: Strikes all opponents with lightning.
- High Speed Shoes: Increases speed for a short time.