Artwork of Larry Koopa from New Super Mario Bros. U, later reused for the Mario & Sonic series
|First appearance||Super Mario Bros. 3 (1988, overall)|
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games (Wii) (2011, Sega-related) (cameo)
|Latest appearance||Mario Kart Live: Home Circuit (2020, overall)|
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 (2019, Sega-related)
|Portrayed by||Michelle Hippe (2014-present)|
- “Heya! I'm Larry, and I'm here to root for King Bowser. I actually wanted to just hang with friends, but he's the king, ya know? What's a Koopaling gonna do? Still, I can't complain - I've been having a blast here in Rio. Wish I'd had a chance to fix this crazy hair of mine before going out though...”
- —Larry Koopa, Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Wii U)
Larry Koopa is the youngest of the Koopalings, a clan of seven siblings who serve Bowser. He is recognized by his ruffled mohawk, blue head star, concern about his hair, and aggressive tendencies. Like the other Koopalings, Larry made his first appearance in Super Mario Bros. 3. Larry's first Sega-related appearance is in Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games for the Wii, in which he makes a cameo as an obtainable Mii costume. Larry has since made a few more appearances in the Mario & Sonic series, and like the other Koopaling has been a playable fighter in the Super Smash Bros. series since Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U.
Mario & Sonic series
Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games
Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games
In Mario & Sonic at the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games, there is another Mii costume based on Larry, and it can be unlocked by getting at least 65% puck possession in a single Ice Hockey match.
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games
In both the Wii U version and Nintendo 3DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, Larry makes his first playable, let alone physical, appearance in the Mario & Sonic series. He is only playable in Equestrian.
In the Nintendo 3DS version, Larry is unlocked by beating him in Dream Equestrian on Day Four of the Sonic Story. In the Wii U version, he can be challenged after placing first in the level 2 Equestrian tournament. By defeating Larry, the player can unlock him for that event.
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
Larry reappears as a Technique-type character in Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020, and is again exclusive to the Equestrian event.
Super Smash Bros. series
|Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS (unlockable)|
Super Smash Bros. for Wii U
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (unlockable)
|Standard: Clown Cannon |
Side: Clown Kart Dash
Up: Abandon Ship!
Final Smash: Shadow Mario Paint
|Appears from the background in his Junior Clown Car and gives a mocking gesture.|
Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U
Larry (alongside the other Koopalings) makes his Super Smash Bros. debut as a playable character accessible via Bowser Jr.'s alternate costumes in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Super Smash Bros. for Wii U. He is unlockable in the former game and available from the start in the latter. Larry's attacks and statistics are identical to Bowser Jr.'s, though he is referred to by his own name by the announcer and has his own voice clips. Larry can also appear in place of Bowser Jr. in All-Star Mode (like the other Koopalings), and in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Larry is also the only Koopaling who can be faced as an opponent in rounds 4 and 5 in Classic Mode if the player chooses the defeated Bowser Jr. from rounds 1-3 as a team member against another Bowser Jr..
Like the other Koopalings, he is actually driving a mass-produced version of the Junior Clown Car (as noted by the yellow light bulbs that serve as its eyes). The rim and propeller of his Junior Clown Car are colored light blue (his signature color), and he reuses his voice clips from his appearance in New Super Mario Bros. Wii, thus he is voiced by Lani Minella.
While he is recognized as the youngest Koopaling, the both versions state that Larry is the leader of the Koopalings. In all English releases of Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and British English releases of Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, Larry's trophy acknowledge him as being the leader of the Koopalings. In his American Super Smash Bros. for Wii U trophy, Larry is instead called the youngest Koopaling. In the Boxing Ring, Larry's title is "The Youngest" in American English releases and "Leader of the Seven Minions" in British English releases.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
In Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Larry (alongside the other Koopalings) returns as a playable character accessible via Bowser Jr.'s alternate costumes. He is once again an unlockable character, like in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS. Just like in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, Larry's attacks and statistics are identical to Bowser Jr.'s, though he is referred to by his own name by the announcer and was given his own voice clips. Unlike in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS / Wii U, all seven Koopalings (Larry included) now use their magic wands for any occasion where Bowser Jr. would use his hammer. These occasions include all corresponding attacks, their side taunt, and one of their victory poses.
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Nintendo 3DS)
- What're you supposed to be? I've got no interest in anyone who doesn't know how to handle a horse.
- Raring for a different kind of horse race?
- All right, let's see which one of us is the better rider!
- Ahhh, I lost! It's a rare rider that can rival me. You're utterly unstoppable! I'll race you for the title of top rider anytime! Just come and talk to me.
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Wii U)
- Heya! I'm Larry, and I'm here to root for King Bowser. I actually wanted to just hang with friends, but he's the king, ya know? What's a Koopaling gonna do? Still, I can't complain - I've been having a blast here in Rio. Wish I'd had a chance to fix this crazy hair of mine before going out though...
- I came to Rio to cheer on King Bowser, but decided to duck into the Olympic Equestrian Centre for a sec and now I'm hooked! The qualifier was really something! Probably the second or third best one I've seen! Not sure what the best was, though. They kinda blend together...
- Heeeey! You ain't too shabby with the reins, huh? Maybe you didn't do so hot this time around, but you still got a horse in this race, I say!
- Man, you really had me on the edge of my saddle. The way you handled that horse was, uh, something else! Something scary, that is... You goofed a few times, but I guess it IS hard to find the best path across the course without a whole buncha practice, huh? Hint hint. In the end, though, you still managed it, somehow. Never a dull moment, that's for sure! Hope the finals are just as exciting.
- I had my seat for the finals all reserved and ready to go, but then you lost in the semis! Ah well. Give it another shot, will ya? I'll be back again to cheer you on.
- Think you're hot stuff on horseback, huh? Bet you're also thinkin' you can take on the best of the best sometime. Well, here he is! Right in front of ya! ...Whoa! Where're you lookin'? Down here, horse brains! If you wanna be number one, you gotta beat me first! Not that you can... Heh heh heh!
- You were good. Really good. Almost TOO GOOD! ...Bah, forget it. Anything I'll say will sound like an excuse. I'll just have to give it my all next time!
- Sure, you didn't win — but you were still pretty good! Nice for me to get some practice in too, yeah? Anyway, I'll compete against you anytime.
- Bwa ha! I could've won that qualifier with one hand tied behind my shell! You just watch — I'll win the final BLINDFOLDED by the time I'm done!
- I made it to the Equestrian qualifier, but man, was it rough! My mount just wouldn't listen to me. Horses just don't seem to like me for some reason... But you? Oooh, I'm jealous how some people can just connect with animals instantly. Stupid horses! WHY WON'T YOU LIKE ME?!
- I'm glad I survived the <phase of tournament>, but me and my horse might as well have been on two different planets. Blech! A fan of mine said we looked like we were perfectly in tune with each other, but I know that's bunk! I tell ya, this horse stuff is harder than I thought.
- Aww, man. It's so embarrassing losing in the qualifier! I'm NEVER gonna hear the end of it from the others. King Bowser's probably gonna flip his shell, too. Ugh!
- I'm glad I made it to the final, but King Bowser told me that I had to win or else. ...Or else WHAT?! I don't even KNOW! That sentence never ends well, right? Like, no one ever says "You have to win or else...you get a puppy!"
- I'm set to be in the final, but that means I've spent the whooole time at the Olympic Equestrian Centre. I need a break. Bet the horses do too! I wonder if they'd wanna go to Copacabana Beach... But I guess if I rode a horse around here, it'd spook everyone. Not like they asked me to take 'em here, anyway.
- These horses are really talented animals. I tell mine to do something, and she just does it! 'Course, that makes my job all the more important, because if I lose, I can't go blaming it on my ride.
- Losing in the semifinals? Man, lame. LAAAAAAA-MUH. I had my victory speech all written up and everything. Next time for sure!
- Man, I just won a medal at my Olympic Games debut. I must be some sorta Games wunderkind! Seriously. It was way easier than I thought. Still, better watch my tone when Bowser's around. Brag too much around him, and you'll be sorry!
- I know I had victory in the bag, but how come I win a medal and my ride doesn't get anything? Not even HAY?! Maybe I can sneak him some carrots later. It's not quite a medal, but I bet he'll enjoy it anyway.
- Ever since I made it to the final, I figured that gold medal was as good as mine already! Maybe I shoulda paid more attention to what I was doing...
- The Mario League is so hot right now! I'm pumped for the next match! But don't you think it would have been better to call it the BOWSER League instead? Oh well, the Olympic Games are about peace and all, so I guess I'll just kick back and have fun! Heck, maybe Peach and me will even hit it off...
- I've been spending so much time watching horses at the Olympic Equestrian Centre that watching the Mario League team events feels kinda weird. These games are probably more in the Olympic spirit and all that, but at this point I just associate the Games with horses. Can't be helped!
- So King Bowser's competing in the Mario League? See, cause I kinda sorta... forgot to go root for him, so I REEEEEEALLY hope he doesn't notice. I doubt he's checking the stands to see if I'm there, but since my hairdo kinda makes me stand out, I'm still nervous.
Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020
- Wha… What is it? You want something from me? I don’t need nuthin’ from you!
- What? You came for the Excitement Battery? Eggman Nega sent you?
- Yeah, suuure! Unlikely story! Why would I trust anything you say? Magikoopa gave me this battery to hold onto. I’m not going to hand it over to some random guys who ask for it.
- Uh-huh. Ask me if I caaare. Shy Guys! Yo, Shy Guys!
- Oh ho, that’s just for starters. There’s a lot more of them where they came from!
- Go get ‘em, Shy Guys! Get these guys outta here! You’re not getting this battery! Let’s see how you deal with a mass of oncoming Shy Guys!
- Let's see if you can handle all these Shy Guys!
- What a letdown! You Shy Guys are a total disgrace! You couldn’t even get rid of these guys? But nobody’s getting this battery! It’s not over yet! We’ll settle this somewhere else. If you can find me, that is!
- What!? You found me already!? Ugh, it was a real pain trying to sneak in here after I lost my pass! You can chase me all you want, but I’m only handing over this battery to Eggman Nega.
- Ahahaha! Like I’d believe that!
- King Bowser? What’s this thing have to do with King Bowser? Now I know I really can’t trust you! If you want this battery, you’ll have to win this event!
- Ahaha! If that’s what you think, then you can just slink away and forget about the battery.
- If you really want this battery thing, you're gonna have to take me on and win!
- Tch! Oh, all right. By the way, this battery has to be charged before you can use it. How? I dunno.
- Whoa! What’s going on?
- Huh. So, that’s the power of Magikoopa’s magic? But, what do I care? It’s not my problem anymore. See ya!
Mario & Sonic at the Rio 2016 Olympic Games (Wii U)
One of Bowser's seven Koopaling henchmen. His unique ruffled mohawk and blue head star give him a flashy appearance. In the Olympic Games, he performs acrobatic movements on horseback to thrill the crowd!
- Larry is one of the Koopalings, a team of Bowser's minions. He's the one with the big mohawk and the star. I didn't know the punk look was back in style!
- Larry's mouth is big. Like, REALLY big. Right? Maybe that's why he seems so energetic and loud...
- Did you know that Larry once used a magic wand to fight against Mario and his pals? He's a wizard! Er, or a warlock? I can't ever keep that straight. Anyway, the Olympic Games are a sports celebration, so there's no magic allowed. I wonder how Larry is going to get an edge this time...?
Sprites and models
Names in other languages
|Larry, from the English name|
|Larry, from the English/Japanese name|
|Transcription of international name|
- This article is a stub. You can help the Sega Wiki by .