|This article requires a cleanup to meet the Sega Wiki's quality standards. |
Please edit this page to improve it. Feel free to discuss this cleanup on the article's talk page.
Luigi, just before being hit by a Spiny Shell
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games (Nintendo DS)|
|Info||Slide and jump your way through an extreme snowboarding course set up with surprise items and obstacles. It's all even at the starting line, but it's the first to cross the line after 2 laps who will be crowned the winner. Perform mid-air tricks to enable a special dash which can knock out enemies in your path.|
Compete for rank on a night snowboard run through the woods.
|Controls||Accelerate: Y Button|
Turn: +Control Pad ←/→
Jump: B Button
Drift: R Button and +Control Pad ←/→
Tricks: +Control Pad
Dash: Y Button twice
Item: L Button
Extreme Snowboarding is a Dream Snowboard Dream Event in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games. The objective of the event is to complete two laps of the course in the fastest time, with the event taking place in Twinkle Village. The starting course record for this event is 03:05.366.
In this event, the player starts by pressing , and can press and hold beforehand to charge up energy and perform a faster start. If the player begins charging from when "2" appears onscreen and releases it with perfect timing, thy will perform a starting dash, which will give them a short speed boost. Once the event has started, the player can press on downhill sections to crouch and pick up speed, and steer using . The player can also get a speed boost by slipstreaming an opponent for a long period of time. They can perform drifts by pressing and holding , which allows them to perform tighter turns. If they release when their trail is orange, they can perform a drift dash, which will give them a short boost of speed after completing the drift. When the character approaches a jump ramp, the player can press to perform a jump. Jump ramps come in two sizes, with the larger ones having orange edges and giving more air time, and the smaller ones being blue. The player can perform various tricks in the air using , which, if performed successfully, will give the player an additional speed boost upon landing, with the size of the boost depending on the number of tricks that the player managed to perform. Performing tricks also causes the trick gauge to fill, and when there is enough energy in it, the player can quickly press twice to perform a special dash, which will give them a large speed boost an will knock over any opponents directly in front of them. If the player does not successfully make a jump over a large hole, a Fishin' Lakitu will fish them out and drop them on the other side of the track. As well as holes, the track also features Chain Chomps and Egg Pawns as enemies, which cause the character to fall over when hit. The Chain Chomp lunges out at players, whereas the Egg Pawns will slowly walk along set paths. Item Boxes also appear on the course, which the player can pick up to gain an item. Items can be used by pressing , and certain one can also be thrown backwards by holding down and down on . The items that the player can collect are:
- Red Shell: Homes in on the opponent either directly in front of or behind the player, and causes them to fall over when hit. Can be thrown backwards and defended against using a Barrier or Super Star.
- Spiny Shell: Homes in on the opponent in first and causes them to fall over when hit. Any other characters caught in the explosion will lose speed.
- Barrier: Protects the character from one hit from an opponent's item or enemy on the course indefinitely.
- Super Star: Grants the player invincibility from items and enemies and a speed boost for a short period of time.
- Boo: Steals any items and reduces the trick gauge of an opponent in front of the player.
- Bomb: Places three Bombs on the course that explode when touched or after a short amount of time, knocking over any players caught in the explosion. Can be thrown backwards and defended against using a Barrier or Super Star.
- Chaos Emerald: Strikes all opponents in front of the player with lightning, causing them to fall over and lose any items they have.
The player must complete two laps of the course, with a Fishin' Lakitu appearing with a sign to indicate the final lap, with the character that completes both laps in the fastest time winning the event.
Four players race side by side for first place. Do tricks in mid-air to enable a special dash that can win you the race!
- Press the Y Button to start!
- Hold the Y Button for a boost in speed!
- Press the B Button to jump!
- Use the +Control Pad in mid-air to do tricks!
- Land tricks to fill the trick gauge!
- Press left/right on the +Control Pad to turn!
- Press the L Button to use items!
- Hold the R Button while turning to do a drift!
- Hold the Y Button after "2" on the countdown
- for a starting dash!
- Get behind a rival to enter their slipstream!
- Stay in it long enough for a burst of speed!
- Hold +Control Pad down and press the L Button
- to use Bombs or Red Shells backwards.
- Let the R Button go when your trail turns orange
- to trigger a drift dash! Use it to ace corners!
- When the trick gauge is full, quickly
- press the Y Button twice for a special dash!
- Red Shell: Goes flying at opponent one place ahead/behind.
- Spiny Shell: Goes flying at opponent in first.
- Barrier: Blocks one enemy attack.
- Super Star: Gives invincibility and speed for a short time.
- Boo: Takes items, trick gauge energy from those ahead.
- Bomb: Explodes after a set time or if touched.
- Chaos Emerald: Strikes those ahead with lightning, erases items.
Names in other languages