|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo DS)|
|Controls||Catch ball: Touch and hold touch screen.|
Throw: Slide upwards on Touch Screen.
Big Bang Circuit
Dream Basketball is a Dream Event which appears exclusively in the Nintendo DS version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. It is set in Blue Sky Field. The objective of the event is to score as many points as possible by shooting the basketballs into the hoops. The event is unlocked by completing the Stardust Circuit.
In this event, the player must attempt to score as many points as possible by shooting the balls into the hoops, within a set time limit. In the Set Rules menu, the time limit can be set to either 60, 90 or 120 seconds. To be able to throw the ball into the baskets, the player must first catch one of the balls which come bouncing towards them on the Touch Screen, by touching and holding it with the stylus. If the player lifts the stylus before throwing the ball, the character will drop the ball that they are currently holding. To throw a ball that the player has caught, they must slide upwards on the touch Screen. The direction in which they slide and the speed will affect the throw, allowing the player to aim for the different baskets. The player scores two points for throwing the ball into a single basket, with double points being scored per ball for each extra basket they throw it into. Gold balls will also occasionally appear onscreen or when the player uses the Starman item, which score six points for a single basket and twelve for a combo shot. Powerup Balls will also occasionally appear, which only score two points when thrown into a basket, but depending on the item on it, will cause a number of different effects:
- Super Mushroom: Increase the size of the player's baskets for a short amount of time.
- Starman: All of the balls which appear on the lower screen will be golden balls for a limited time. The character's icon on the top screen will change colors for the duration of this powerup.
- Chaos Emerald: Either makes a Boo appear in one of the opponents' baskets for a short time, which will bounce out any balls thrown into the basket, or will cause their baskets to move around faster.
- Balloon: Causes all of the baskets to line up vertically, making it easier for the player to perform combo shots.
- Use the stylus to play this event.
- Touch the ball on the Touch Screen to catch it. If you pull away, you will drop the ball.
- After catching the ball, slide upward on the Touch Screen to shoot.
- Aim for the baskets on the top screen when you slide!
- Score points by shooting the ball into a basket.
- Earn more points by hitting two or more baskets with the same shot.
- In addition to normal balls, some Powerup Balls may come your way.
- Score with a Powerup Ball for a variety of effects.
- Super Mushroom
Your baskets get bigger for a limited time.
All balls turn into golden balls (triple points) for a limited time.
- Chaos Emerald
Effects include summoning Boo on an opponent's basket, or speeding up its movement.
Your baskets line up vertically for a short time, making combos easier.
- Only records that are achieved with "Time Limit" set to 90 seconds in the "SET RULES" menu will be valid and saved.
- Knuckles: Knuckles's fifth mission is to perform a combo within thirty seconds.
- Luigi: Luigi's fifth mission is to score fifteen or more points over ten consecutive shots.
- Yoshi: Yoshi's fourth mission is to make five consecutive successful shots.
- Dr. Eggman: Dr. Eggman's fifth mission is to score a basket.
Mario competing in Dream Basketball
Names in other languages