100m Freestyle (Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games for Wii)
Yoshi taking the lead in 100m Freestyle
|Appears in||Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii)|
|Info||Dive in on the start signal and swim two lengths of the pool in the fastest time to win. Don't forget to breathe, or it will cost you valuable seconds in recovery time.|
|Controls||Charge: Hold the B Button|
Dive: Swing Wii Remote down
Swim: Swing Wii Remote and Nunchuk
Refill stamina: Press the B Button
Turn: Swing Wii Remote down
100m Freestyle is an Aquatics Event that appears in the Wii version of Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games. The aim of the event is to swim the 100m distance in the fastest time, with the event taking place in the National Aquatics Center in Beijing, China. Peach can be seen taking part in this event in the game's opening. The starting world and Olympic record for this event is 47.84 seconds. Shy Guy and Espio appear as referees in this event.
This event starts by introducing the charters and their lane numbers, as well as their swimming stroke, before changing the view to the characters on the starting blocks. When "Ready" appears onscreen, the player can press and hold to build up energy to allow them to perform a faster dive in and gain an initial speed boost. When "Go!" appears, the player can swing the Wii Remote down to dive in and start the event. Doing so with good timing will provide an additional speed boost, however swinging down early will cause the player's character to perform a false start and will cause the player to be unable to dive in until a few seconds after the event has started. To swim, the player must swing the Wii Remote and Nunchuk in a particular way, with each character having a specific swimming stroke:
- Crawl (Swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk forwards and backwards alternately): Mario, Luigi, Peach, Daisy, Shadow
- Breaststroke (Swinging the Wii Remote towards and away from each other simultaneously): Wario, Bowser, Amy, Dr. Eggman
- Butterfly (Swinging the Wii Remote up and down together): Waluigi, Knuckles, Blaze
- Dog paddle (Swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk up and down alternately): Yoshi, Tails
- Underwater running (Swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk up and down alternately): Sonic
- Crocodile paddle (Swinging the Wii Remote and Nunchuk left and right simultaneously): Vector
The swimming speed depends on the speed with which the player swings, and is indicated on the meter in the top left of the screen. After a while, a stamina meter will appear onscreen, indicated by a heart, which depletes as the player swims. The player can refill the meter when it gets low enough by pressing . If the player presses when the meter is closer to being empty, meter will be refilled more and the player will gain a small speed boost, indicated by the number and color of musical notes that appear, going from one blue, to two green to three red. If the meter fully depletes at any point, the character will tread water and slow down significantly until the meter refills. When the player reaches the end of the pool, they can swing the Wii Remote down with the right timing to turn around, granting them a small speed boost. Failing to do so will still allow the character to turn, but they will not gain any speed.
- This event uses the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk.
- This event is a 100 meter swimming race. Getting a good time depends on swimming speed and the timing of your stamina recovery and turns.
- This event uses the Wii Remote and the Nunchuk. While "READY" is displayed, press to build up energy.
- When "GO!" appears, swing the Wii Remote down to dive in. If you swing too early, you'll get a false start.
- Use the Wii Remote and Nunchuk to swim. Shake them quickly to speed up. The motion differs depending on your character's swimming style.
- Crawl: Forward/backwards alternately.
Breaststroke: Left/right to sides alternately.
Butterfly: Up/down together.
- Dog paddle/Underwater running: Up/down alternately.
Crocodile paddle: Left/right to sides together.
- The faster you swim, the more stamina you'll use. You'll tread water when it's gone, so use to recover. Press just before you run out of stamina for a big boost.
- To turn, swing the Wii Remote down as you touch the edge of the pool, and you'll turn without losing speed.
- You can also play this event with only the Wii Remote.
Crawl: Swing in a level forwards/backwards motion.
- Butterfly/Dog paddle/Underwater running: Swing up and down.
Breaststroke/Crocodile paddle: Swing side-to-side.
- Mario: Mario's second mission is to win the event.
- Shadow: Shadow's first mission is to finish before Tails.
- Amy: Amy's first mission is to perform a perfect entry dive and finish first.
- Vector: Vector's first mission is to finish between 48 and 51 seconds.
Names in other languages
- Out of all the characters that do the crawl, Luigi is the only character that turns their head left to breathe. This is also the case in the later installments.